Hello There!

Hello there!
Welcome! Thank-you for taking using your precious time to read my blog. :]





Your's Truely,

AverageGinger



Sunday, August 15, 2010

Facebook Frenzy?

Dear Reader,

This morning I logged into my facebook account and realized that I don't even know half of the people I am friends with. I have nearly 300 people that I have never spoken to in the real world, and it makes my wonder; why am I friends with them in the first place?

It seems that the more people you 'friend' or are 'friended' by, the more popular you are. Or at least the more popular you feel. I realize that I probably add so many people because I've seen them around and spoken to them a few times in person, but never have I casually asked them how their day was. A few more of those people are old friends from school, places I've been, or old neighbors. But the last time I saw them would have been the last time I spoke to them, so why are we friends?

Arguably it would be the past that connects us to each other and the connection we lost, facebook gives us back. It also gives you an idea of who a person is and what their interests are. But then the sense of 'stalking' creeps over. Is facebook just an easy way to stalk your old friends? or is it just a casual way to connect with your peers?

Overall, I'm not trying to put down facebook in any way, shape, or form. Infact, I love facebook and I use it every day to connect me to my family and close friends. I just want your view on why we have a habit of having so many friends.

That's just my philosophy on today's affair.

Your's Truely,
AverageGinger

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree that Facebook gets weird. I've had friend requests from people I don't know at all, but who happen to know some of the same people I know.

    To tell you the truth, I find it a very superficial forum, but then again, social interactions often ARE that way. If people really are close to one, surely a personal message is so much more significant than a post on face book?

    ReplyDelete